Our humble toothbrush is one of our most hardworking tools! The American Dental Association and the Yuba City Dental Group both recommend brushing with a soft bristled brush twice a day for at least two minutes each time, along with daily flossing, to maintain the best dental health. It’s easy to overlook the merits of a toothbrush for good oral hygiene, but without one we’d be using twigs, feathers or porcupine quills to clean our teeth!
- The most popular color of toothbrush is blue.
- The first toothbrushes were used in China. These early toothbrushes were made with hog bristles and featured handles of bone or bamboo.
- The first toothbrush patent in the United States was by H.N. Wadsworth in 1857, but it was not commercially available until 1885.
- Toothbrushes with animal bristles are not considered ideal because they retain bacteria. In 1938, DuPont began producing nylon bristle toothbrushes.
- Tooth care became mandatory for American soldiers in World War II and daily brushing became a habit for most people in the U.S.
- The electric toothbrush was invented in Switzerland and became available in 1939. In 1961, the dental company Interplak sold the first retail powered toothbrush in the U.S.
Thanks to advances in dental care, it’s possible to keep your teeth for life. Take care of your teeth by scheduling your dental appointments with the Yuba City Dental Group.