16 Apr What is Essential Dentistry?
The American Dental Association has recommended that all dental practices continue to see only essential dental patients until April 30th, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For patients of the Yuba City Dentistry Group, you may have had an appointment scheduled during this period, or were hoping to get a certain procedure completed. Therefore, let’s talk about the types of situations that are considered essential dentistry.
Emergency dental care involves situations that put the individual at risk of serious harm. Dental emergencies include:
- Uncontrolled oral bleeding;
- Soft-tissue bacterial infections or cellulitis that reduce the patient’s ability to breathe;
- Oral and facial trauma that reduces the ability to breathe.
For any of these situations, perform first aid and then contact our office immediately for assistance.
Urgent Dental Care
Other problems are so painful that they would likely lead to an emergency room visit. Since many hospitals and medical offices are already overburdened, dentists need to continue handling these cases, including:
- Severe wisdom tooth pain;
- A fractured tooth;
- Inflamed dental pulp inside a tooth;
- Post-operative dry socket;
- Repair of broken or defective crowns or bridges;
- Biopsy of suspicious oral tissues;
- Treatment of serious tooth decay;
- Removing post-operative sutures;
- Necessary denture adjustments or repair;
- Investigating and curing toothache;
- Adjustment of braces that lacerate the oral tissues.
If your situation does not fall under any of these categories, but you feel that you need to be seen by our dentist, contact the Yuba City Dentistry Group by phone or online. We take every possible precaution in the office to protect you from the novel coronavirus, as well as our staff. We are here to help patients in Yuba City and Marysville.